PSU College Blog

A blog of stories about a set of PSU roommates.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've got two words for ya - Sar-casm. If you aren't hip with that, you probably should just click to the next blog. I blog about my daily life, current hot topics, stupid conversations, or just about anything that is on my mind.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

It Seems Like Only Yesterday ...

An interesting title to choose for a story, don't you think? But, it got your attention, I hope. I was "inspired" to write this, thanks to the impending start to college football season (apologies go out to the schools that will not be able to play because of the devastation of Katrina). This is the time of year that I normally convince myself that the almighty blue and white, my college alma-mater, will not only be competitive, but will ultimately be in contention for a national championship ... of course, after a few weeks of games, I sadly come to the realization that Joe-pa's team is grossly overmatched.

There was a time, not too long ago, when Penn State football was routinely ranked in the top 20 (usually in the top 10) - a time when teams rued travelling to Happy Valley to play the Nittany Lions. When I was a student at the U-Park (I know, I'm sounding mighty old), Penn State would routinely walk over teams like Cincinatti, Rutgers, Syracuse, and West Virginia, before playing tougher teams like Notre Dame and USC later on in the season. It was a given that Penn State would likely start the season off 6-0 ... those were the days. We are now satisfied if PSU starts the season off 1-0. Games that used to be walk-overs are now struggles. Teams like Ohio State and Michigan - teams we used to have mighty battles with, seem to trudge over us with the greatest of ease.

However, thankfully, with every new season comes a clean slate. The 'Nits recruited very well, and some of these blue-chip freshmen may actually get significant playing time this season. My hope is that Big Blue (Penn State, the real Big Blue, not those phony Wolverines) will develop some sort of attitude or swagger. Their defense is among the best in the country ... their offense leaves a lot to be desired, and their special teams ... wait, did we have a special teams unit at all last season?

As I am a true Penn State fan, I will proudly watch my team battle on the field for every game, and I will support them win or lose. I will hopefully cheer alongside many of my PSU friends, and we will bask together in victory, and help each other through defeat (hopefully, not many of those will happen).

Give 'em hell, Joe Pa!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ink and Stone said...

Penn State sports suck.

Come to think of it, all sports suck.

Have a nice day, Karl.

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home